A SHORT HISTORY OF OUR FORMER CLUBS
The Maroochydore Beach Bowls Club (Inc)
The club was founded in 1938 when the Trustees of the Recreation Ground Cotton Tree granted land for one green and a clubhouse with an annual rent of one pound.
The first President of the club was Mr J McIntyre and the actual name of the club was “The Maroochydore Mooloolaba Bowling Club”.
In 1946 the Ladies Bowling Club was formed, although four ladies were listed in the foundation members list of 46 people in 1938. The first Ladies President was a Mrs Smith who held the position for two years.
In 1959 the club was granted additional land for a second green and and changed its name to the Maroochydore Beach Bowling Club in the same year. In 1964 number one green was moved 10 feet to the west to allow for widening of Sixth Avenue and a third green was added in 1974.
There have been a number of extensions to the clubhouse over the years with the major ones occurring in 1959,1969, 1982 and during the mid 1990s which included the installation of air conditioning and pokie machines giving us the clubhouse we see today. The club was incorporated in 1993.
The Maroochy Swan Bowls Club (inc)
The historical records of the Maroochy Swan Bowls Club are not readily to hand so currently information is sketchy about the origins of the club. Over the next year several former club members will be doing a research project on the history of the club so we can expect that this page will contain more factual information than is currently possible.
We are indebted to Charlie Arbouin for his recollections about the early days. He tells us that Mr Tom Rose, who became the inaugural President in 1936, donated the land for the club. It seems the club was initially known as the Maroochydore Bowling Club – at least that’s what is shown on the front cover of the members roll book for 1936 to 1969, which has somehow survived the passage of time. Tom Rose’s name appears in the roll book up until 1954-55.
The roll book shows that there were 24 inaugural members in 1936 and that the membership grew slowly over the years so that by 1951 the roll was 37 members. By 1968-69 the roll had grown to 121.
The club initially must have had 2 greens as 2 houses were purchased at some point to make way for the 3rd green.